A selection of photo’s believed to be rare images of suffragettes training in jiujitsu. Due to the frequency of attacks by disapproving men and arrest by police, a specialist bodyguard was formed by militant suffragists to defend speakers at public events. These photo’s are believed to capture suffragettes in training. The original Bartitsu School of Arms and Physical Culture is believed to have introduced jujitsu to Britain and the western world and Edith Garrud, who is known to have trained suffragettes, learnt her skills from original Bartitsu Club instructors.
- Bartitsu Appears on British TV’s Channel 4.
- Second Bartitsu Photoshoot by Stewart Gibbs Photography at Havenstreet Steam Railway.
- The Bartitsu Club – IOW Featured in German Tweed Magazine.
- Part 2; Bartitsu Sparring courtesy of The Bartitsu Club of Chicago
- Bartitsu Sparring courtesy of the Bartitsu Club of Chicago